Thread: Musical

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by nimbleswitch View Post
    Hi, David-
    I'm a bit gunshy now regarding the Keys I've indicated.
    Don't be - nobody's been shot for setting a chart key wrongly... Yet... ;-D

My usual, albeit primative, procedure is to note the key signature and figure, e.g., "Two flats, so it's either B flat major or G minor," then I look to see if the final note or chord is one or the other of those, and go with that.
    Exactly how it's done. A general review of chord sequence will then confirm or contradict that indication.

So, if you find reason to consider the key of any of my postings as something else, please correct me, okay.
    Since you mentioned it, I went to look over what keys you set in the "Fiddler" and "Porgy" songbooks, and found nothing amiss in the "Fiddler" one - its music is pretty straightforward.
    In the Gershwin opera, however, the harmonic sequences are often very "irregular", and so it *is* difficult to determine a definite key for some songs.
    Some indications in how to determine key from chords follow:

- IT TAKE A LONG PULL: song begins in G major, moves to G minor. Melody would help, in this case, to decide, but it's definitely G ;-) . I find nothing wrong in saying it's in Gm (I would prefer G because it's beginning key, but without seeing melody Gm is fine)
    - BESS, YOU IS: song begins in Bb, moves to D, then F# (probably 2 flats in key signature that change en route?). Bb is ok because it's the starting key of a multi-key song
    - RED-HEADED: the song is in Bb (you set C). There's Bbs all over, F7s before them, and C7s which are secondary dominants. A give-away is Gb7, which is flatted VI of Bb. Song also begins and ends in Bb (not counting Intro). No flats in chart? Bad choice by publishers... ;-D

Default Lusty Month Of May

The Lusty Month Of May by Frederick Lowe from Camelot
    Posted by Waltkl

The lyric hints were found to be more than just convenient. :-)