Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to connect the guitar (bass) to the iPhone to practice with the iRealBook player?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by yverof View Post
    ... and it is VERY expensive
    Hi Yverof,
    Oh great news, thanks for that information.

You also may want to check out the ampkit link - It's designed to go with ampkit iphone app but I'm pretty sure it can be used as a standalone. I don't have it so can't say for certain. It's a competitor to the irig setup.

Ghodaddyyo: thanks for sharing your experience.

Actually, that's bad news. I was hoping that the iPad might be able to run amplitube and iRealbook at the same time after the impending iOS4 update. But it sounds like that is no going to work just yet.

The option with an external mixer will work fine when I'm at home, but I am looking for a solution for when I'm travelling. I'm not really jumping to take a mixer along with me.

I too have an iRig. I noticed it works very well with amplitube and studiominixl, but with several other programs I'm getting some strange feedback when I hook up headphones to the iRig. I suspect that the iPad apps have to run an echo-canceller of some kind to eliminate that feedback with the iRig.

I'd be exilliarated if iRealbook would even just include a very rudimentary audio input, just before the reverb, with inputlevel control.
    For me that would be sufficient for jazz-practice.

What about a Line 6 Pocket Pod? $99. Run the headphone out into the Pod, guitar to Pod and monitor from the Pod?

I am hearing rumors that the iPhone 5 will have a duo core processor which will possibly make multi-tasking more of a reality.

I too am very disappointed that I can't run the IRig and REALBOOK at the same time.

I love both of the apps and combing them would be awesome. Hopefully someone will figure out a way to do this soon.

The new Amplitube update for IPad is out but it doesn't work. They said you can't run two IOS programs at the same time. If anyone has a solution that will allow two IOS apps to work at the same time please share....thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Kaliguitar View Post
    I too am very disappointed that I can't run the IRig and REALBOOK at the same time.

I love both of the apps and combing them would be awesome. Hopefully someone will figure out a way to do this soon.

The new Amplitube update for IPad is out but it doesn't work. They said you can't run two IOS programs at the same time. If anyone has a solution that will allow two IOS apps to work at the same time please share....thank you
    I think this is not a multitasking issue but an audio output thing. You can setup amplitube to run in background (setup -> last option) and switch to iRealbook then. As long as the player is not running you can hear your instrument. But as soon as iRealbook player starts, the audio from Amplitube is gone. That's it. Maybe someone from IK can help to integrate with iRealbook?

cheers

EKKI

Default Vox Amplug

I use a headphone amp made by Vox called the 'amplug'.

The beauty of it is it plugs directly into my bass, and has an aux in which I run my iPhone into (you'll need a stereo mini cable to connect it - I use a Belkin retractable cable)

There are a number of different models for guitar depending on the sound you're after, and one bass model. Sound quality is pretty decent. Uses 2xAAA batteries which the website says will last about 15 hours (about right in my experience).

http://www.voxamps.com/amplug/

Quote Originally Posted by CeeKayBass View Post
    I use a headphone amp made by Vox called the 'amplug'.

The beauty of it is it plugs directly into my bass, and has an aux in which I run my iPhone into (you'll need a stereo mini cable to connect it - I use a Belkin retractable cable)

There are a number of different models for guitar depending on the sound you're after, and one bass model. Sound quality is pretty decent. Uses 2xAAA batteries which the website says will last about 15 hours (about right in my experience).

http://www.voxamps.com/amplug/
    I'll second that. My Vox Bass Amplug plugs directly into my 1/4" upright bass jack. It has a 1/8" output for headphones and a 1/8" input for my iPhone and so I can play along with iReal Pro or the Amazing Slow-Downer loaded with play-alongs, or just with a favorite performance mp3. The sound is quite acceptable and the batteries last for many hours. Cheap fun and great practice. And since my travel upright is a solid body it's silent to my wife who is sleeping in our hotel room only a few feet away. Great for practicing outdoors on a park bench, even with noisy traffic around. The Amplug is about the size of my cell phone, so I can carry it, my cell phone, cable, collapsable headphones, and extra batteries in my pockets. And my bass breaks down or back up in about 8-10 minutes. Fits in my suitcase. Perfect play-along system, I think.
    Jack

Here is an other one from Peavey

http://www.peavey.com/ampkitlink/

Yverof