Thread: Anyone MIDIing a sound module in the background while running iRealb?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for posting your thoughts and results
    I seem to remember IK Multimedia saying their apps are optimised for the specific device it is installed on. This means if you had a newer device you would probably get more polyphony and better latency.

Personally I would still use an independent module if I could although this could be because I have not tried sampler or synth apps on a gig, and if I did, would not be sure I would want to have that same device multitasking my charts.

I was also thinking about (non) balanced cables and hum. I would probably use a short cable from my iOS device to my DI if my amp was not near me to eliminate any interference that might occur, although I am not sure how common it is with guitarists using iRig (etc.) in gigging. I have not had any problems with Ampkit Link and guitar cabling to an amp (not that I have tested this extensively.)

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    Personally I would still use an independent module if I could although this could be because I have not tried sampler or synth apps on a gig, and if I did, would not be sure I would want to have that same device multitasking my charts.
    I came to the same conclusion. I'll be using my keyboards and modules for the foreseeable future. And I won't be changing my nick to "MC DaleMac" any time soon

Quote Originally Posted by dflat View Post
    I seem to remember IK Multimedia saying their apps are optimised for the specific device it is installed on. This means if you had a newer device you would probably get more polyphony and better latency.
    Yeah, that's another sticking point. Some of the gear I have is 15 or 20 years old and they still do a better job than any of these fancy 21st Century thingamabobs ...with the exception of iRealb, of course
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.

bs-16i is my favorite (I also have the other apps mentioned), small footprint, works with Soundfonts.
    It responds to volume and program changes and can also be used as a MIDI player.

Thanks for your input. I just looked at your post from 2011
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthr...nk-iOS-iReal-b
    so I guess you've compared several different setups over the past couple of years.
    There's two kinds of mistakes you can play: The ones you notice, and the ones somebody else might notice.