Thread: Holiday

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Vanilla (Traditional) changes for Christmas Carols & Songs

I appreciate all the work the Moderators do, and all the community contributions. But...

It seems like every Christmas when I pull iRealPro out and try to play along with a Piano player and singers, I always get complaints about the non-traditional changes.
    While it's fun to jazz-it-up on some of these tunes, a lot of people just want the comfort of the old, traditional carols, the way they've heard them since childhood.

I see some of the songs in "Holiday 100" marked "(Jazz)" or "(Alt)", so those are to be avoided in the situation I'm talking about. But when someone starts singing a song, and the Piano player gets going (because he's played 40 years and can play it in any key), I'm still flipping through 6 or more versions I've collected from the forum, trying to figure out which I should transpose and try.

I've given up on solving it for this Christmas, but would be happy to take part in a community effort to make a "vanilla changes" playlist for Christmas 2017.

Thanks...Lyle

I agree with you completely Lyle . I went through a stage of reharmonizing everything . It's a fun game to play but often not very musical and arguably can creatively hamstring the player. but I digress , you are talking about the play-along usage. I am constantly going through tunes here and "devolving" them back to there 1,4,5, roots. . I'll post a few Devolved Xmas tunes for you here later.
    btw
    Mods I still am having issues with deleting songs from playlists . I must be missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I appreciate all the work the Moderators do, and all the community contributions. But...

It seems like every Christmas when I pull iRealPro out and try to play along with a Piano player and singers, I always get complaints about the non-traditional changes.
    While it's fun to jazz-it-up on some of these tunes, a lot of people just want the comfort of the old, traditional carols, the way they've heard them since childhood.

I see some of the songs in "Holiday 100" marked "(Jazz)" or "(Alt)", so those are to be avoided in the situation I'm talking about. But when someone starts singing a song, and the Piano player gets going (because he's played 40 years and can play it in any key), I'm still flipping through 6 or more versions I've collected from the forum, trying to figure out which I should transpose and try.

I've given up on solving it for this Christmas, but would be happy to take part in a community effort to make a "vanilla changes" playlist for Christmas 2017.

Thanks...Lyle
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc

Well this is sort of passive aggressive ..sorry
    Since I can't seem to figure out how do remove songs from a playlist only I'm posting the whole playlist with bad versions.
    the good versions are on the bottom of the list.
    also since I don't use these with play along you may need to go through and remove all the major 7 chords #11 b9 etc. This will make your music much more traditional sounding .
    Christmas Liz (12)

Individual songs:
    Hark the Herald Angels Sing (Tom's) - Traditional
    God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen 1 - Traditional
    Frosty The Snowman - Rollins-Nelson
    Feliz Navidad 1 - José Feliciano
    Feliz Navidad (Alt.) 1 - José Feliciano
    Let It Snow! - Cahn-Styne
    Angels We Have Heard On High (Jazz) - Unknown
    Angels We Have Heard On High- Liz - Unknown
    Winter Wonderland liz - Felix Bernard
    We Wish You A Merry Christmas 1 - Traditional
    God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen -liz - Traditional
    Hark the Herald Angels Sing -liz - Traditional
    Don't post a playlist as the songs in a Realbook if the changes aren't from the book.
    If you do transcribe changes from a book put it in the title RB1, RB2, GGB, Sher, etc